|NFL Exp.:||9 (9th with Chiefs)|
• Linebacker enters his ninth season with Kansas City in 2013.
• Earned his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season, finishing with 125 tackles (110 solo) to pace the team for the third-straight season.
• Named first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl after setting a franchise record with 179 tackles (131 solo) in 2011.
• Recipient of the Derrick Thomas Award as the Chiefs Most Valuable Player in 2011, as voted on by teammates.
• Ranks fifth in team history with 874 tackles and is just the sixth player in Chiefs annals to reach the 800-tackle plateau.
• Wrote his name in the NFL's record books, becoming just the third LB in NFL history to score two TDs on two INT returns in a single game in a 44-24 win at Denver (1/3/10).
• Became just the fourth Chiefs player to score a pair of defensive TDs in a game and only the third to record a pair of INT return TDs in a single contest.
• Racked up 175 return yards on three interceptions in 2009, the fourth-highest total in the league.
• Earned the team's prestigious Mack Lee Hill Award in 2005, an honor bestowed on Kansas City's top rookie or first-year player.
• Joined LB Derrick Thomas (D1-89) and LB Percy Snow (D1-90) as the third Butkus Award winner to play for the Chiefs.
• Has played in 122 games (109 starts) with 874 tackles (681 solo), 50 tackles for loss, 18.0 sacks (-121.0 yards), nine picks returned for 233 yards with three TDs, 51 passes defensed, 19 forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, 42 QB pressures and 18 special teams stops.
Signed with Kansas City (3/25/10) ... Signed with Kansas City (7/31/05) ... Selected by Kansas City in the first round (15th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft.
2012: Started all 16 games at right inside linebacker, recording 125 tackles (110 solo), including 12 for loss, 2.0 sacks (-10.0 yards), five QB pressures, three forced fumbles and four passes defensed ... Posted eight tackles (seven solo) and one QB pressure vs. Atlanta (9/9) ... Compiled nine tackles (seven solo) at Buffalo (9/16) ... Generated nine tackles (five solo), including one for loss, a sack (-10.0 yards) of QB Drew Brees, and two QB pressures at New Orleans (9/23) ... Produced six solo tackles, including one for loss vs. San Diego (9/30) ... Grabbed six solo tackles vs. Baltimore (10/7) ... Posted 12 tackles (10 solo) at Tampa Bay (10/14) ... Compiled 10 solo tackles, including three for loss, and a pass defensed vs. Oakland (10/28) ... Produced five tackles (four solo) at San Diego (11/1) ... Grabbed 13 tackles (12 solo), including two for loss, and forced a RB Isaac Redman fumble at Pittsburgh (11/12) ... Produced 10 solo tackles, including one for loss and forced a TE Jermaine Gresham fumble vs. Cincinnati (11/18) ... Posted four solo tackles, including one for loss, and a QB pressure vs. Denver (11/25) ... Grabbed five solo tackles vs. Carolina (12/2) ... Produced seven tackles (five solo), including two for loss, and a forced fumble at Cleveland (12/9) ... Generated eight tackles (six solo), including one for loss, and one pass defensed at Oakland (12/16) ... Posted seven solo tackles, a sack (-0.0 yards) of QB Andrew Luck, and a QB pressure vs. Indianapolis (12/23) ... Tallied six solo tackles and two passes defensed at Denver (12/30).
2011: Started 16 games at right inside linebacker ... Elected to the Pro Bowl, joining with LB Tamba Hali to become the first pair of linebackers in team history selected to the Pro Bowl in the same season since LBs Bobby Bell and Willie Lanier following the '72 season ... Named first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press ... Received the Derrick Thomas Award as the team MVP as voted on by his teammates, becoming the third linebacker in team history to win the award and the first since LB Marvcus Patton in '99 ... Recorded a Chiefs single-season record 179 tackles (131 solo), including 11 for loss ... Added 2.0 sacks (-10.0 yards), two interceptions, 13 QB pressures, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and five passes defensed ... Posted double-digit tackle totals in 10 contests, all within a span of 11 weeks from Oct. 2 - Dec. 11 ... Produced a season-high 16 tackles at Oakland (10/23), vs. San Diego (10/31) and at New England (11/21) ... Tallied 16 tackles (15 solo), including 1.0 for a loss, 1.0 sack (-7.0 yards) and an interception to win AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors vs. San Diego (10/31).
2010: Started 16 contests at right inside linebacker ... Had a team-high 147 tackles (107 solo) with 6.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sack (-11.0 yards), an INT for a TD, 13 passes defensed, three QB pressures, four forced fumbles and a fumble recovery ... Named to the USA Today All-Joe Team ... His four forced fumbles tied for fourth in the AFC and ninth in the NFL ... Returned an interception for a 15-yard touchdown vs. Jacksonville (10/24) ... Produced a career-high 17 tackles (12 solo) and four passes defensed at St. Louis (12/19) to win AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.
2009: Played in 15 games on special teams ... Saw duty in 14 contests on defense with three starts ... Was inactive for one contest ... Tallied 33 tackles (24 solo) with 1.0 for loss, 1.0 sack (-7.0 yards) and three INTs for 175 yards with two TDs ... Also had one QB pressure, a forced fumble and five passes defensed ... Had nine special teams tackles ... Ranked second in the AFC and fourth in the NFL with 175 interception return yards ... Was the only NFL player to post two defensive return TDs in a single game in 2009 ... Recorded four tackles, one QB pressure and a pass defensed at Baltimore (9/13). Also registered a career-long 70-yard return of an interception ... Was inactive with a groin injury at Philadelphia (9/27) ... Tallied four tackles, three passes defensed and intercepted two Kyle Orton passes that he returned for a career-high 105 yards with two TDs at Denver (1/3/10) to earn AFC Defensive Player of the Week accolades. Produced 45-yard and 60-yard interception returns for scores. Became just the third linebacker and the 25th player overall in NFL history as well as the third player in Chiefs annals to register two interception returns for touchdowns in a game. His 105 interception return yards rank as the fourth-highest single-game total in franchise history and the best single-game tally in the NFL in 2009.
2008: Started 14 games, opening 10 games at right outside linebacker and starting the season's final four games at middle linebacker ... Was inactive for two contests ... Ranked second on the team with 90 tackles (65 solo), including five behind the line ... Also added 1.5 sacks (-12.5 yards), an interception, five passes defensed and three forced fumbles ... Posted seven tackles, combined for a sack, intercepted QB Jay Cutler and forced a WR Brandon Marshall fumble to earn AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors vs. Denver (9/28), becoming the first Chiefs linebacker to win the award since 2002 ... Was inactive with a thigh injury at San Diego (11/9) and vs. New Orleans (11/16) ... Made his first career start at middle linebacker at Denver (12/7).
2007: Started 16 games at left outside linebacker ... Ranked third on the club with 107 tackles (91 solo) with a team-high 16 for loss ... Joined with fellow LBs Napoleon Harris (123) and Donnie Edwards (108) to give the franchise its first trio of linebackers with triple-digit tackles since '78 ... Contributed 4.0 sacks (-34.0 yards), two interceptions, seven passes defensed, six QB pressures and three forced fumbles ... Tied a career high with 2.0 sacks (-18.0 yards) of Rex Grossman at Chicago (9/16). Also had seven tackles, two passes defensed and a special teams stop ... Notched a sack and strip of Philip Rivers to set up a 50-yard TD return by CB Tyron Brackenridge at San Diego (9/30). Also intercepted his first career pass off of Rivers to go with three tackles and two QB pressures.
2006: Played in 13 games with 12 starts at left outside linebacker and was inactive for three contests ... Finished third on the team with 83 tackles (66 solo), including 5.0 for loss and two forced fumbles ... His 4.5 sacks (-22.5 yards) were third on the team ... Added four QB pressures, three passes defensed and two fumble recoveries ... Collected nine tackles and 1.5 sacks of Alex Smith and forced a RB Frank Gore fumble vs. San Francisco (10/1) ... Produced five tackles and a career-high 2.0 sacks of Seneca Wallace vs. Seattle (10/29) ... Was inactive at Miami (11/12) with an ankle injury, ending a streak of 24 consecutive starts ... Amassed 12 tackles including two for loss in an AFC Wild Card Game at Indianapolis (1/6/07).
2005: Started all 16 games at left outside linebacker to become the first rookie linebacker in Chiefs history to start all 16 games since LB Dino Hackett accomplished the feat in '86 ... Named the club's Mack Lee Hill Award winner, an honor bestowed on Kansas City's top rookie or first-year player ... Ranked third on the squad with 110 tackles (87 solo), with four tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks (-14.0 yards), 10 QB pressures, one fumble recovery, two forced fumbles and nine passes defensed ... Recorded six special teams tackles ... His 110 tackles were the fourth-highest total ever accumulated by a Chiefs rookie and were the most by a Kansas City rookie linebacker in team history since Hackett had 140 stops in '86 ... Started vs. the New York Jets (9/11), becoming the first Chiefs rookie linebacker to start a season opener since Percy Snow vs. Minnesota (9/9/90) ... Produced a season-high 11 tackles vs. Philadelphia (10/2).
Appeared in 50 games (40 starts) at Texas, registering 458 tackles (281 solo), a school-record 65.0 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks and 10 interceptions returned for 199 yards with a touchdown ... Also had five fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles, 39 QB pressures and 30 passes defensed ... Was the first player in Longhorn annals to win the Butkus Award ... Earned the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the top collegiate defensive player in 2004 ... Opened all 12 games as a senior in 2004, finishing the year with a career-high 130 tackles (73 solo) and 2.0 sacks (-15.0 yards) ... Had an NCAA single-season record nine forced fumbles, breaking the previous mark of eight shared by Syracuse DE Dwight Freeney (2001) and Boise State S Quintin Mikell (2002) ... Also returned an interception for 18 yards, added eight passes defensed and 10 QB pressures ... Was a unanimous All-America and All-Big 12 selection ... Started 13 games at weakside linebacker in 2003 as a junior, leading the club with 125 tackles (78 solo) and 20.0 stops behind the line ... Also had 2.0 sacks (-10.0 yards), three fumble recoveries, a forced fumble, four interceptions returned for 92 yards with a touchdown, nine passes defensed and 10 QB pressures ... Started all 13 games as a sophomore in 2002 ... Ranked second on the club with 120 tackles (73 solo) ... Also had 2.0 sacks (-4.0 yards), 10 passes defensed, four interceptions for 85 yards and 10 QB pressures ... Was a first-team All-Big 12 selection ... Played in 12 games (two starts) in 2001 as a true freshman, ranking second on the squad with 83 tackles (57 solo) and fourth with 4.5 sacks (-29.0 yards) ... Added nine QB pressures, one interception, two fumble recoveries and three passes defensed ... NamedSporting NewsNational Freshman of the Year ... Earned first-team Freshman All-America honors fromSporting News... Chosen as the Big 12 Conference Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year ... Majored in Education.
• Registered 170 tackles (103 solo), 21.0 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks, five forced fumbles and two interceptions, including one for a TD, as a senior at Waco High School in Waco, Texas.
• Once produced a career-high 30 tackles and four forced fumbles in a single game.
• Also lettered twice in basketball and ran a time of 10.5 seconds in the 100-meter dash.
• Established the "King of the Field - The Derrick Johnson Foundation" in 2005 to help provide opportunities for youth to achieve in both academics and in the community.
• "King of the Field Foundation" has paired with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, KaBOOM! and more than 200 volunteers to construct three playgrounds in Kansas City.
• Serves as a spokesperson for Lift Up America, an organization that facilitates widespread compassion by providing gifts of food and comfort to our nation's less fortunate.
• Was named the 2007 Role Model of the Year by the children of the Greater Kansas City Boys & Girls Clubs.
• Brother, Dwight, played defensive tackle at Baylor ('96-99) and in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles (2000) and New York Giants (2002).
• Cousin, Bert Emanuel, was selected in the second round (45th overall) by Atlanta in '94 and played in the NFL as a wide receiver with Atlanta ('94-97), Tampa Bay ('98-99) and Miami (2000).
• Cousin, Ben Emanuel, was a defensive back at UCLA (2000-04). He was a fifth-round selection (171st overall) of Carolina in the 2005 NFL Draft.
• Cousin, Aaron Emanuel, was a standout running back at USC ('85-86, '88-89).
• Cousin, John Williams, was a defensive end at Oklahoma.
• Cousin, Kevin Emanuel, was a defensive lineman at Florida State (2000-03).
• Married; Wife, Tamika with a son, Derrick II (4).
Additional Stats: Has 18 special teams tackles - six in 2005, one in 2006, one in 2007, one in 2008, and nine in 2009. Has three INT returns for TD's - two at Denver (1/3/10) and one vs Jacksonville (10/24/10).
Single-Game Career Highs
Tackles: 17 (12 solo) at St. Louis (12/19/10)
Sacks: 2.0 vs. Seattle (10/29/06); at Chicago (9/16/07)
Passes Defensed: 4 at St. Louis (12/19/10)
INTs: 2 at Denver (1/3/10)
INT Return Yards: 105 at Denver (1/3/10)
Long INT Return: 70 at Baltimore (9/13/09)
Fumble Recoveries: 1, five times, last at New York Jets (12/11/11)
Forced Fumbles: 1, 19 times, last at
QB Pressures: 3 at New England (11/21/11); at Chicago (12/4/11)
|2012 - Chiefs|
|9/23||@ New Orleans||5||4||9||1||1.0||0-0||0||0||2||0|
|10/14||@ Tampa Bay||10||2||12||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|11/1||@ San Diego||4||1||5||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|2011 - Chiefs|
|9/25||@ San Diego||7||2||9||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||2||1|
|11/21||@ New England||10||6||16||1||0.0||0-0||0||0||3||1|
|12/11||@ N.Y. Jets||13||2||15||2||0.0||0-0||1||0||0||0|
|2010 - Chiefs|
|12/12||@ San Diego||9||1||9||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|12/19||@ St. Louis||12||5||17||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||4|
|2009 - Chiefs|
|11/29||@ San Diego||1||0||1||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|2008 - Chiefs|
|9/7||@ New England||3||1||4||0||1.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|10/26||@ N.Y. Jets||5||0||5||1||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|11/9||@ San Diego||Inactive/Thigh|
|2007 - Chiefs|
|9/30||@ San Diego||2||1||3||0||1.0||1-6||0||1||2||1|
|12/30||@ N.Y. Jets||3||1||4||1||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||2|
|2006 - Chiefs|
|11/5||@ St. Louis||1||1||2||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||0|
|12/17||@ San Diego||6||1||7||2||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||2|
|2005 - Chiefs|
|10/30||@ San Diego||8||1||9||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||2||1|
|12/17||@ N.Y. Giants||6||2||8||0||0.0||0-0||0||0||0||1|